Thursday, May 12, 2016

Family Devotional Resources

Several weeks back, I presented a sermon titled "Spiritual Parenting" in which I went over several things I felt we really needed to be doing with our kids as Christian parents. It was a rather hard-hitting sermon based on the examples of how Joshua commanded that the children who crossed over to the promised land be taught all of the law - and how the next generation's failure to know God revealed that Joshua's command went un-heeded.

I prayed and obsessed over that sermon a lot more than usual! I even asked some elders and deacons to pray for that sermon. Any time you go into a lesson suggesting that some people in the audience aren't parenting to their fullest potential, you'd better have some good material and facts to back up your opinion.

Among the most important points were the following statements - "A good spiritual parent opens the Bible with their children in the home on a consistent basis. If we are not engaging and reading God's Word with our children in the home, we are failing and we are not a good spiritual parent."

Also - "A good spiritual parent has open discussion with their children concerning their spiritual hopes, dreams and goals. If we are not discussing spiritual development, teaching and growth - we are failing."

Fortunately, the lesson appeared to be well-received and many of you gave me positive feedback. I did get some requests concerning how exactly to begin to have family Bible study, and what are some good resources. After some research, I am going to present 4 very good study aids that I feel like almost any parent of even an elementary knowledge of the scriptures could use in Bible study with their kids. These books that I will highlight today can be found at Mardel Book stores, and at online book sellers. I chose these 4 as a starting point for Bible study, and they are probably going to be very easy to find for a few years.

HOLMAN ILLUSTRATED BIBLE HANDBOOK




This is an excellent addition to anyone's library. It is less devotional guide than it is a Bible resource. Lots of pictures, charts, and background information about the Bible. Widely available, this would be a good starting off point to learn about different concepts of Biblical books, history, archaeology, etc. The Holman Handbook even comes in a variety of sizes, with a handy version that can easily be carried along with your normal paper Bible. 

THE DUCK COMMANDER DEVOTIONAL




A true devotional book containing 365 lessons made up of a scripture for the day, devotional thoughts and a suggested prayer for that day's thoughts. Yes, it is steeped heavily in the "Duck Dynasty" show's characters. The devotional thoughts are good, and they are fine Church of Christ folks. Nothing controversial, just good spiritual thoughts. Notice you can get it in pink or green camo. 

TEEN TO TEEN: 365 DAILY DEVOTIONS. BY TEEN GUYS/GIRLS, FOR TEEN GUYS/GIRLS.




The title pretty much sums it up. A Bible study consisting of a passage of scripture and thoughts for each day of the year. Each lesson is written by teens, guy or girl specific. These books I reviewed were leather bound, but can be purchased as hard back as well. Very, very good devotional book to use with your children. For what its worth - I purchased this one to have our devotionals with Abby in mind. 

MAX LUCADO - GOD IS WITH YOU EVERYDAY: 365 DAY DEVOTIONAL




A devotional book based on the writings, wisdom and thoughts of Max Lucado. These Bible studies are not teen specific, but easy enough to understand and appreciate by just about anyone. Very easy to pick up and jump right into a discussion of spiritual truth. 

I'm certainly not going to say I read every single word of these 4 books. But the time that I did take to examine them make me confident that they are excellent places to start. That's what it takes to engage your family with God's word...a good start. Its similar to the old saying about exercise: What's the best workout to lose weight, get in shape and feel good? The one you will do. You don't absolutely have to have a study aid. You can pick up the Bible, gather your family around and go somewhere good. These are suggestions for busy families who want the easiest way possible to jump start their family devos. 

By all means, find something that works for you. Make it a priority. Have a set time every day (or most days of the week) to have a devotional. They can be as short as 10 minutes, or go as long as the discussion lasts. My prayer is that you and your family will grow in wisdom and knowledge because you took the time to make contemplating God's word outside of the church assembly a priority. 

I'd love to know if you have some Bible study/devotional tools that you use. Let me know in the comments section. For that matter, I'd love any kind of comment to know if anyone is reading my blog!

P.S. - May I make one little plea about purchasing these books? If you do, patronize a book store. Mardels and other stores are invaluable in that you can physically see the book and scan through it. They need your support, and we need to be able to have first-hand impressions of books. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review Ken.

    For those of you looking for a devotional book I would like to caution you. As with any printed material we always need to be mindful of teachings that do not jive with our believes. I am not trying to discourage you from purchasing printed material. They can be very valuable. Just be cautious.

    I have spent hours in Mardel looking for a devotional book. After selecting a book that looked good I have often been disappointed after spending time in the book. I still use devotional books I just change them as I go along.

    One example of a disappointing book is a very popular book called "Jesus Calling". I actually have three copies of this book in my home (I purchased the first one and have received two more as gifts). I didn't research it well. I purchased it because it was popular and was recommended. It is awful. I have to change the words every night as I'm reading it to my kids. I will replace it as soon as I can.

    I have never heard of the Duck Commander book. I need to look into that one. I have high hopes for it.

    Thank you again Ken. We sure to appreciate you.

    Philip Wolke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! Now I know a title to stay away from. Also appreciate your comment. I'm obviously not trying to sell anything or generate views for any big purpose. Just want to write something that might be interesting to people at our congregation and others. Next week I'll probably put some thoughts on here about Ruth and some of the Judges that I did not cover in the sermon series.

      Delete