Thursday, September 1, 2016

Reflections on Honduras: Part 2.


One of my favorite aspects of this Honduras campaign was experiencing it with Kim and Abby. I’ve been blessed to participate in a number of foreign and domestic campaigns/missions in my life. The majority of these were done without any of my family or close friends. One would think that doing worthy things like helping to build or paint homes,

handing out Bibles and simple evangelistic work would be satisfying enough to completely occupy your thoughts. However, so many times while away from home I would wish my family were with me. Sometimes those desires were rooted simply in wanting my loved ones to experience good things. I must confess that sometimes I would be feeling isolated and lonely on a mission trip - even if surrounded by my spiritual family. I might not have had much justification for those feelings, they just creep in. So being able to participate in a mission trip far away from home with members of my household was a joy. 

This was Kim’s 3rd time going to Honduras with this group. When Abby expressed interest
in going on her first mission trip, our family talked it over and decided that I could join them and make it a nearly complete family affair (Caleb has been on this trip twice, but was committed to a summer job in Minnesota.) I was looking forward to meeting many of the people who labor in Honduras every year that Kim had told me about, and I was interested in seeing her doing the work with which she was familiar. So many times I’m the one who becomes the “point man” for religious work in our family. This was “Kim’s work”, and seeing her in action did not disappoint!

It was gratifying to meet people who have worked with her, both Americans and Hondurans, and appreciate her talents and skills. Most (but not all) know that Kim is rather good with simple construction and building tasks. Her father can build and fix just about anything, and Kim retains a lot of that experience. Over the years she has surprised more than a few people in helping with wiring and woodwork at the Trujillo Christian School. This year one of her main tasks was assembling and wiring new ceiling fans. It is gratifying to see someone you love and respect...have their work loved and respected!

It was also cool to see Abby experience her first foreign mission effort. The idea of her
participating with her family in an effort to serve the church in Honduras is valuable from a parent’s perspective. She experienced for the first time a totally different culture, climate and language. She once again was judged by her brother’s long shadow, but she was accepted for who she is and seemed to absorb all of the lessons a trip like this provides in her work and worship experiences. I also finally got her to admit (for just an instant) that maybe taking French over Spanish in school wasn’t the right move! 

In the end, experiencing Honduras with most of my family with me was every bit as exciting as I’d hoped. We all have the common experience of at least one year in Honduras. My son says he’s hoping to return with us next year...THAT would be something!



1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way. You're thoughts/words amaze me. I feel honored and loved.

    ReplyDelete